DeVry University focuses on developing long-term relationships with superior instructors who have high professional standards, excellent communication skills, enthusiasm, and a commitment to providing the finest practitioner-focused education. Our faculty also are role models for our University TEACH values and foster a culture of CARE consistent with our University mission, vision, and purpose. Specific to the College of Health Sciences, we are seeking Industry Professionals to share their knowledge and experience with undergraduate students in a variety of fields. Commitment is on a course by course basis.
- Excellent delivery of courses across an online modality.
- Sets clear expectations for the course through the posting of regular course announcements.
- Regularly provides application-based real-life examples.
- Engages with students using a variety of platforms, including web-based video, discussion threads, learning management tools, and regular communications.
- Identifies students who may need additional support, and initiates contact to provide them with appropriate resources.
- Provides weekly synchronous opportunities to deliver course content and support student needs.
- Demonstrates consistency and fairness in grading and provides timely feedback to students.
- Models effective oral and written communications that engage the students, provide clarify, and improve student learning.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
Below are the minimum requirements of the education, experience, knowledge, and skills required to competently perform in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A master's degree is required for all faculty positions (with 18 graduate hours in the field being taught).
- All Degrees must be from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent.
- Current industry experience in a healthcare setting is a must.
- Current industry-related certifications (CIC, CCS).
- Faculty must have a general working knowledge of healthcare operations related to the following areas:
- Electronic health/medical records.
- IT systems and functions within healthcare.
- Health insurance and reimbursement.
- Health privacy and ethics.
- Reimbursement methodologies and billing functions.
- Faculty must have subject matter expertise in the areas of:
- Inpatient / hospital coding
- This role requires the ability to work flexible hours including evenings.
- Faculty must also have excellent motivational, communication, and instructional skills in a diverse and non-traditional environment.
- Must be able to work in a collegial manner and facilitate the efforts of diverse groups.
- Additional subject matter expertise in the areas of:
- Clinical documentation improvement
- Coding compliance
- Previous teaching experience.
Pay: Visiting Professor pay is based on degree, credit hours taught per 8-week session, and location.
- Pay may vary in most states from $1500-$2600 per 8-week session
- Pay in the states of AZ, CA, IN and PA is paid at an hourly rate of either $20.00/hour or $21.50/hour